When buying bed sheets, you might be tempted to pick out cheap bed sheets first but you have to consider a number of factors before making a final decision. Purchasing bed sheets is like an investment so make sure you get something that will make you excited to crawl in bed. Stop guessing and make informed choices by following the list below.
- Make sure to check the fiber content before buying. If you want something simple but worth your purchase, get a bed sheet which is 100 per cent cotton. If you want to splurge on something more expensive, choose cotton with extra-long staple such as Pima and Egyptian because these are stronger and softer compared to regular cotton. Make sure to buy from a reputable brand because some companies label their sheets as Egyptian even if it’s not the case. If you want something cheaper, get a combination of polyester and cotton.
- Do not rely on thread count alone. This is a common ploy created by manufacturers. They make sheets with high thread counts but it does not actually improve the quality of their products. According to scientific studies, the ideal bed sheet has a thread count between 300 and 500.
- There are two major kinds of weaves – sateen and percale. Percale is the most basic and it is lightweight but crisp. Sateen, on the one hand, is smooth like silk. Which is better between the two is actually dependent on the preference of the user.
- Bed sheets for sale at standard sizes do not take into consideration the depth of the mattress. Therefore if your mattress is tall or you have a topper, measuring before purchasing is important. Keep in mind that the fabric could shrink after washing.
- Consider the return policy of the bed sheet you are buying. No matter how good, every person’s preference is different. If you find that you don’t love the sheets, you must have the option to return it and buy something else. This is common in brands that are selling online only and their return policy could reach months after buying. With trying, you might be surprised that cheap bed sheets work better for you than premium ones.